Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
Thursday, September 29, 2016
Why do we have an Orange Shirt Day?- To remember the residential school victims and those that were subjected to the generations of abuse and assimilation process
Why do we wear Orange?- Phyllis Webstad is a survivor of a residential school. Her story is the following:
Why is this important?- The last two residential schools to close across Canada were in Saskatchewan
- 1996 - Gordons Indian Residential School near Punnichy
- 1998 - White Calf Collegiate in Lebret
What was the experience like for children?- watch this video of our Jack MacKenzie SLC students reading Shi-shi-etko by Nicola Campbell
Why were Residential Schools so bad?- Watch this video and have a conversation with your family and friends to decide:
Some questions you could ask yourself or your family and friends are:
- What sort of bad things happened in Residential Schools?
- What was the purpose of Residential Schools? (Why were they created?)
- How would you or your family react if you had to go to one of these schools?
- Why is learning about this part of Canadian history important?